After a 5-year hiatus, Sugarland has reunited to release their sixth studio album, “Bigger,” their first new music in eight years.
“We have always enjoyed playing in the margins and stretching the format,” said Jennifer. “But it’s fun to have taken this time away and seen how the format has expanded and how music has evolved. Before, we were playing in the margins. Now, the margins have moved, and that’s fun to hear.”
“It’s not like we stopped creating with [2010 album] The Incredible Machine,” adds Kristian. “We kept going, but like a good Netflix show you skipped seasons three and four and now you’re seeing season five and you’re reminded of why you loved it.
The 11-track offering,10 of which were co-written by Jennifer and Kristian, features one lone song not written by the duo. “Babe,” written by country star turned pop star Taylor Swift and Train’s Pat Monahan, also features Taylor Swift on vocals. This marks the second song Ms. Swift has written for a country group since leaving the genre, the first was 2017’s No. 1 hit “Better Man” by Little Big Town.
“This album has a whole bunch of mystery,” adds Kristian “I’m listening to it every two days just to see what’s in it. I have entire pints of blood in that thing, but I still don’t know where it all came from, and I love that.”
“Bigger” is due out June 8. In the meantime, Sugarland will be kicking off their highly-anticipated Still the Same Tour on May 4 in Durant, Okla.
3. “Let Me Remind You” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles
4. “Mother” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles
5. “Still The Same” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles
6. “Lean It On Back” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles
7. “Babe (featuring Taylor Swift)” | Taylor Swift, Pat Monahan
8. “Bird In A Cage” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles
9. “Love Me Like I’m Leaving” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles, Tim Owens
10. “Tuesday’s Broken” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles
11. “Not The Only” | Kristian Bush, Jennifer Nettles