Living in an apartment, or in an older home with tiny rooms, can present a decorating challenge: how do you make the limited space seem larger?
Try these 10 easy, home-decorating ideas that will help your small space seem grand!
1. Light colors are the best colors. Light colors automatically make a cramped space seem open and expansive.
2. Use mirrors. Place a mirror opposite of a window and it will bounce light around the room, making the space feel airier. Remember, the bigger the mirror, the better.
3. Don’t forget the corners. Use this overlooked area as a spot to squeeze in an extra accent chair or a corner bookshelf, making your room more livable. You could even tuck a comfy chair in a corner to create an instant reading nook.
4. Bring in the shimmer. A shimmery lamp, light fixture, or decorative object will have a similar effect as a mirror. They will reflect light and brighten up a space.
5. Try floating bookshelves. They offer storage space without the bulkiness of chests, bookcases, and armoires. You can even swap out your nightstands for floating shelves.
6. Fake big windows. Place your curtain rods a few inches below the ceiling instead of right above the window frame. This will draw the eye upward and make windows seem taller. The same trick works to visually expand a window‘s width, if you hang the rods a few inches past the sides of the panes.
7. Speaking of curtains. Match them to your wall color so that they blend with the walls to create an unbroken line.This simple trick will make a room feel much larger.
8. Use sneaky storage spaces. Find unique ways to store items with items that pull double duty such as a storage ottoman.
9. Green. Not necessarily the color, but plants! House plants lend an airy feeling that make your space seem larger.
10. Vertical is your friend. Use tall, vertical stripes to create height in a room.
Photo Credit: Big Stock