I’ll be the first to admit that it’s still hard for me to see Clinton Kelly as anything other than the well-dressed fashion expert on “What Not to Wear,” but he’s quickly becoming one of my favorite food gurus, too!
On a recent episode of “The Chew,” Clinton shared his Mexican lentil soup recipe, and it was a hit– so of course I have to try it for myself!
Clinton Kelly’s Mexican Lentil Soup Recipe As Seen On “The Chew”:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled, small dice)
- 2 carrots (peeled, small dice)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded, small dice)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can mild salsa
- 1 and 1/2 cups dried green lentils (picked over, rinsed, drained)
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes (diced)
- 6 cups organic chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro (roughly chopped, to garnish) (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Warm the olive oil in a pot on medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and bell peppers and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender and translucent.
- Add chili powder and stir, cooking for another minute or so.
- Add the salsa and cook for an additional 3 minutes, then stir in the lentils, tomatoes, and chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with hot cornbread!