Craig Wayne Boyd shared his love for his wife, Taylor, with his new single, “Better Together,” featured on his current album Top Shelf. The season 7 “The Voice” winner, is now taking it a step further with the release of the love ballad’s lyric video, sharing the exclusive premiere with One Country.
“Better Together,” written by Craig, Brett James and Will Edwards, is the follow-up to the album’s lead single, “Stuck in My Head.” The seductive song tells the story of having a different view of the same old things with that person you fall in love and having everything be better when they are together.
“Baby this view was just a view / Just another lonely sunset baby before you / And darling everything I ever did / it all added up to nothing / ’til I had someone to share it with / Better together, Better together baby, better together yeah,” Craig sings in the chorus.
“‘Better Together’ came about—I was getting back with some songwriter friends of mine, in particular Brett James, who had produced some early works on me with a band called Southland I was in,” Craig tells One Country. “We got together and were kind of catching up on life in general. I was telling him about me and my wife being in Santa Monica and we were standing up on top of one of the buildings looking out over the water. It struck me as I’ve been here before, but I’ve never seen it like this before. That’s the inspiration behind the song.”
Top Shelf is Craig’s third album but his first since winning “The Voice” as part of Blake Shelton’s team. As Craig tells it, winning the reality competition has really given a boost to his career.
“It was like throwing rocket fuel on a career and it does exactly that—What goes up… You have to build a foundation as quickly as possible, because it’s going to come down,” said Craig. “That’s what I’ve worked strenuously at, is to try to build that foundation.”
That foundation is holding steady. The 13-track album is a labor of love for the Texas native, finding songs that reflect where he is in life and the happiness he’s found.
“I think the album, so far musically—it’s very eclectic in the fact that it draws from a lot of strands of music that I enjoyed throughout the years and a lot of my upbringing,” reveals Craig. “I touch on some stuff that’s got a little bit more of a pop/soul edge to it and some that’s really floppy too. I think it’s a very well rounded representation of who I am.”
Top Shelf Track Listing:
1. “Stuck in My Head” (Arlis Albritton, Brian Davis, George Ducas)
2. “Somewhere in There” (Jared Mullins, Travis Denning, Chris Stevens)
3. “She’s Killing Me” (William Dewar Hopkins, Bobby King, Steve Mitchell)
4. “Wild Ways” (James LeBlanc, James Matthew Nolen, Skip Black)
5. “We Sweat” (Josh Helms, Walker Hayes, Matt Willis)
6. “Everywhere You Go” (Cole Taylor, Shane Minor, Matt Dragstrem)
7. “Sweet Temptation” (Jason Mizelle, Pete Steward, Josh Helms)
8. “Better Together” (Craig Wayne Boyd, Will Edwards, Brett James)
9. “Hold Me Up” (Josh Helms, Jason Mizelle, Chris Cron)
10. “Only in My Mind” (Thomas Tillman, Chad Tyler)
12. “Presence of the Lord” (Eric Clapton)
13. “Sweet Temptation Mini Jam”