Johnny Cash was a prolific writer and when he passed he left behind a mass of poetry, handwritten letters, and song ideas would never be set to music. Or so we thought. Cash’s son, John Carter, worked for the past two years alongside a stellar cast of musicians to bring those writings to life on the forthcoming Johnny Cash: Forever Words, which will be released later this year.
The album includes writings that span Cash’s entire career and features new performances by Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves; Rosanne Cash, Alison Krauss and Union Station; Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley, John Mellencamp, Carlene Carter, and Elvis Costello. It will also feature the late Chris Cornell in one of his last on record performances.
According to Cash, picking which artist would sing each song was the difficult part.
“Determining the artist for each song was truly a matter of the heart,” said John Carter Cash in a press release. “I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad. It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted.”
The album will be released April 6.
Johnny Cash: Forever Words
1. Forever/I Still Miss Someone – Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. To June This Morning – Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. Gold All Over the Ground – Brad Paisley
4. You Never Knew My Mind – Chris Cornell
5. The Captain’s Daughter – Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. Jellico Coal Man – T. Bone Burnett
7. The Walking Wounded – Rosanne Cash
8. Them Double Blues – John Mellencamp
9. Body on Body – Jewel
10. I’ll Still Love You – Elvis Costello
11. June’s Sundown – Carlene Carter
12. He Bore It All – Daily and Vincent
13. Chinky Pin Hill – I’m With Her
14. Goin’, Goin’, Gone – Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. What Would I Dreamer Do? – The Jayhawks
16. Spirit Rider – Jamey Johnson