Rachel Lindsay’s season of “The Bachelorette,” is really starting to heat up. So much so, the guys had to participate in a spelling bee for her affections during the most recent episode. Nothing says romance like, “please spell _____.” Right? Right.
The words chosen for the spelling bee were pretty strange and ranged in level of difficulty from “are you serious” to “why would you need to know how to spell that?” Also, more than a few were not suitable for network TV.
13 Kind of Weird Words Contestants Were Asked to Spell During “The Bachelorette” Spelling Bee:
1. POLYAMOROUS: noting or relating to polyamory, the practice or condition of participating simultaneously in more than one serious romantic orsexual relationship with the knowledge and consent of all partners.
I’m sorry, why is this on TV as if this is another crazy-interesting episode of MTV’s “True Life.” This guy must’ve seen that episode, how else would he even know what it means?
2. CHAMPAGNE: the sparkling, dry, white table wine from the region of Champagne in France OR anything considered the best or luxurious.
Before he misspelled this word, Kenny wanted everyone to know how smart he was and that he came to be smart.
3. BOUTONNIERE: a flower or small bouquet worn, usually by a man, in the buttonhole of a lapel.
I’ve been in 27 weddings and have never had to spell this word.
4. PHYSIOLOGICAL: of or relating to physiology.
Sure, this word fits right in. I think the producers meant to give them “PHYSIOLOGY,” but hey– you win some spelling bees, you lose some spelling bees.
5.BOUDOIR: a woman’s bedroom or private sitting room.
Why not just give them “fantasy suite”? “Suite” is actually hard to spell if you’re in front of a camera and kind of an idiot.
6. SQUIRT: to eject a spurt of liquid.
Dear ABC, you’re embarrassing.
7. FACADE: a superficial appearance or illusion of something.
That guy is here for the wrong reasons. He’s not on a journey. He’s putting on a facade.
8. STUNNING: of striking beauty or excellence.
With context clues and general knowledge of letters, a small dog could spell this word.
9. PASSION: an instance or experience of strong love or sexual desire.
I can only assume a producer was somewhere in the background praying he would put a “P-H” in there somewhere.
10. CARESS: an act or gesture expressing affection, as an embrace or kiss,especially a light stroking or touching.
That thing your health/PE coach warned you about in middle school.
11. SCHMUCK: an obnoxious or contemptible person.
The irony is unreal. You can’t troll a troll, ABC.
12. EUPHORIC: intensely happy or confident.
No one who watches this show regularly has ever felt this feeling.
13. COITUS: sexual intercourse, especially between a man and a woman.
“Especially” between a man and a woman? Also, they made the 12-year-old girls watching put on earmuffs for this one.