The fall finale of “This Is Us,” finally brought us a full episode dedicated to the Internet’s favorite of the Big Three– Randall. While I find Sterling K. Brown to be excellent in most everything he does, at times I’ve labeled him a bit dramatic for my tastes. However, this episode was different. It’s like Brown actually grew up with a white family, lost his dad, met his real dad and then decided to be a foster parent. That’s how good he was in this episode.
While Kevin is suffering a life-changing injury on the football field we learn that Jack has taken Randall to Washington, D.C. to visit Howard University, a Historically Black College. Jack wants him to go to Howard, but eventually figures out that he just wants to fit in.
As we get to Randall’s life as an adult and family man, he’s at the ultimate crossroads with foster daughter Deja. Her mom is out of jail, but Randall and Beth don’t think she’s fit to parent. Randall shares his story with her and how he always felt split in two. (We even get a few William scenes!)
And then, we meet up with adult Kevin and he’s still royally screwing up.
Overall, this episode wasn’t as sad as it was very, very real. Which, ultimately, made it super sad.
11 Hilariously Sad Tweets From Season 2, Episode 9 of “This Is Us”:
1. And this guy created the show!
— Dan Fogelman (@Dan_Fogelman) November 29, 2017
2. Agreed. That dude is sad, yet we’re seeing so much of Randall in all of the good things about him.
— Zen. (@_zensan_) November 29, 2017
3. What. An. Angel.
— Kelvin Rutledge (@MrAbsoluteZero) November 29, 2017
4. Same. Same. Same.
— S.I.N (@LOVNADVICE) November 29, 2017
5. This is literally made me LOL.
— Ave (@SebastianAvenue) November 29, 2017
6. Right?! And not because there was some horrific accident. Kevin needs to get right.
I have NEVER been so happy to see the cops. EVER #ThisIsUs
— Briana Melissa Explains It All (@BMExplainsItAll) November 29, 2017
7. I’m available to help, Beth!
— Susan Kelechi Watson (@skelechiwatson) November 29, 2017
8. Don’t show her any episodes of “Full House” or she’ll want you to sing that awful song to her before bed every night, too.
My 15-year-old: "Mom, why don't you ever give me motivational pep talks in a soft voice while someone plays guitar in the background?" #ThisIsUs
— Sophronisba (@Sophronisba) November 29, 2017
9. Never been done, so could work?
I’m suing the writers of #ThisIsUs for emotional distress
— chelle ✨ (@thechelleselena) November 29, 2017
10. Hey! You’re right. I forgot we’re just all sitting around waiting on him to die.
2020 and 10 seasons later.
— And Yet… (@jazi_boo01) November 29, 2017
11. Yep, 35 days without a new episode of “This Is Us.” That’s plenty of time to stock up on Kleenex.
— アザリア😜 (@hatakebaby) November 29, 2017