If you thought buttermilk pancakes were the end all, be all– be prepared to change your mind! These buttermilk Belgium waffles are just as fluffy as buttermilk pancakes but go to a whole new level with the crispy outside. The folks at Southern Living came up with this one and we’re sold.
Buttermilk Belgium Waffles Recipe:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Whisk egg yolks and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Stir egg yolk and buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients, until mixture is moistened.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Fold in egg whites mixture into the batter until blended (do not over mix).
- Preheat and oil waffle maker.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter into waffle maker and cook until waffles are golden brown.
- Serve with syrup.