Sounds like a great plan right? You’ve got nothing better to do for the next few hours and after the stress of getting through airport airport security, having a drink (or four!) on the plane sounds like a great stress reliever. Wrong.
Yes, we know Dierks Bentley sings about getting “Drunk on a Plane” but for the average traveler, it’s just not a great idea.
Here are 11 Reasons You Shouldn’t Drink on a Plane:
1. You may not be allowed to board your next flight. Seriously. Drinking at a high altitude makes you feel more intoxicated and if you arrive at the next gate acting loopy, you could be denied.
2. You could get arrested. Should you get belligerent on a plane there is a good chance two men in blue will greet you at the gate. Not fun.
3. You will feel more intoxicated. We’ve already said this, but feel it is worth repeating. The lack of oxygen allows for the faster metabolism of alcohol allowing it into your blood stream more quickly. This could cause you to get belligerent. And arrested. And to miss your connecting flight.
4. You won’t be able to rent a car. No leasing agent is going to let a seemingly intoxicated person rent a $40,000 car. Not happening. Now you are stuck with a cabbie.
5. Baggage claim hangover. You probably just want to sleep it off, but instead you have to grab your black suitcase that looks just like the other 387 black suitcases. Good luck getting the right one.
6. Turbulence. Turbulence is bad on so many levels when you are drunk on a plane. You could fall walking to the bathroom, it could make you sick or worse, you could be stuck in your seat and not able to get to the bathroom!
7. Motion sickness. Motion sickness is so much worse on a plane. Especially while drinking.
8. Your neighbors will hate you. Not those neighbors, the people sitting to your right and left! Nobody wants to hear you whine about your boss or your ex. Especially a bunch of people who just got served a 100-calorie pack of nuts as their meal.
9. Your day is shot. If you pack in a full day of drinking by noon, you are in trouble!
10. It’s expensive. Do you really want to pay $9 for that tiny bottle of cheap-ass wine?
11. You don’t want to end up as the in-flight entertainment. No explanation needed for this one.