Cam is one of the newest country artists to hit the scene. Her EP, Cam Country, is burning up the charts and her newest single “Burning House” is all over country radio. Along with a video where she sets her own dress on fire (!!), Cam’s vocals are out of this world amazing and her songwriting is on point as well.
When I sat down to create a recipe for this song to Bake & Listen to, I wanted something a little sweet with a kick of spice. I have been LOVING coffee cake lately as well as a hint of spice in my desserts. Hopefully this will bring something a little different to your breakfast and afternoon snack – just like Cam is bringing a fresh new take to country music. Enjoy.
Cinnamon Cayenne Coffee Cake
“I’ve been sleepwalking too close to the fire…”
- 1 cup melted shortening
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In two separate mixing bowls, combine your dry ingredients – your flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whip together your shortening, vanilla, eggs, sour cream and milk.
- Combine the two and you will have your base batter.
- Now comes the cinnamon and cayenne streusel.
- In a small bowl, mix together your cinnamon, brown sugar, and cayenne. In an oven safe dish, pour half of your plain cake batter, then top with the streusel and half of your melted butter.
- Pour the rest of the cake batter over top and drizzle with your remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until cake is golden brown.
Let us know in the comments if you tried this spicy and sweet treat!
Image Source: BigStock, CMA