It’s a new year and time for a new you! These 20 tips will give you a year full of beauty and make your life easier. Whoever said beauty is natural clearly wasn’t a woman! A girl has to have tricks up her sleeves to not just look great, but to feel great about herself.
1. SPF is a must. This is non-negotiable. Even during those cold winter months, the aging UVA rays of the sun are present. Protect your skin daily from damage with a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad spectrum means it protects from cancer-causing UVB rays and photo-aging UVA rays.
2. Stop fighting your natural hair. All the girls with curly hair are trying to straighten their hair, while all the girls with straight hair are trying to add curls. Make a pact with yourself to be happy with what you have and make the most of it! This will free up a lot of frustration and time.
3. Exfoliation is your friend. Exfoliation once per week is necessary to help the process of cellular turnover. This process slows as we age, but it’s nothing a little exfoliation can’t help! Remember to be gentle. Over-exfoliation can cause skin to become thin and more wrinkled.
4. Vaseline. The beauty uses for Vaseline are exponential. It works as an eye makeup remover, a moisturizer for those days your skin just can’t get enough, a cuticle softener and even an eyebrow tamer! Every girl needs a jar of petroleum jelly in her beauty arsenal.
5. Double-duty products. Think a cheek color that doubles as a lip stain or eye shadow that can be used as a highlighter. The more products you can have that pull a double shift, the less space and money you will be out.
6. Water. Drinking water is one of the most important beauty tips there is. It plumps skin making wrinkles appear less prominent, it hydrates dry skin and if even gives skin a soft glow. Find drinking water more difficult in the winter? No one said it has to be cold! Drink it warm with a squeeze of lemon for a drink that hydrates and helps with water retention.
7. Sleep. Beside water, sleep is one of the most important beauty tricks you can know. Sleep is when your body, skin included, is repairing itself. Eight hours per day is best, but six is the minimum hours of sleep you need to be the best you.
8. Don’t share. We know it sounds selfish, but sharing your makeup is a great way to end up with an eye or other infection. Bacteria stays on our tools and products, sharing spreads the germs.
9. Take care of your brows. Sometimes we forget that our eyebrows frame our eyes and draw attention to them. Keeping them trim and plucked helps you look like a put together adult. Additionally, an artfully arched brow can erase years from your age.
10. Go easy on the bronzer. The original intent of bronzer was to give a slight glow as if one had been in the sun a few minutes. Not a few weeks. Lightly dust your forehead, tops of cheekbones, bridge of your nose and chin (Or basically anywhere the sun would naturally hit your face!) with a large, soft brush. It adds a nice bit of color when used properly.
11. Use a foundation brush. A foundation brush helps give you a flawless finish without a lot of hassle. Don’t be afraid to try one. One use and you’ll fall in love! BONUS: You will also find yourself using less makeup with a brush.
12. Become friends with a concealer. Just as name sounds, a concealer can hide a multitude of problems. Use it to cover dark circles to help you appear more rested. You can also use a concealer to hide those dreaded pimples that seem to pop up at the most inopportune times!
13. Don’t pick. This goes for pimples, dry skin, sun-burned skin, whatever you have that can be picked; DON’T! Nobody wants to deal with the scarring and aftermath of picking, so it’s best to resist.
14. Don’t get stuck in a rut. Don’t be afraid to branch out and try new things. If you’ve always used a sparkly eye shadow, try a matte for a while. Stuck on one shade of lipstick? Branch out with a new color. If you aren’t sure how to choose a new color, go to the makeup counter at a department store for help.
15. Bombshell hair. Prior to blow-drying, apply volumizing spray or gel to the roots, flip head upside down and dry. You’ll have volume for days!
16. Blotting papers. Blotting papers are great for keeping oily shine to a minimum through the day. They are also perfect for blotting under eyes when eyeliner or mascara smears.
What are some of your favorite beauty tips?