Rules were made to be broken, especially when it comes to fashion. And who enforces fashion rules anyway? We say break them and wear what makes you feel and look great!
17 Fashion Rules You Should Be Breaking:
1. No white after Labor Day. Forgive us mom, but this rule is out-of-date. White jeans paired with brown boots is simply a stunning combination. Wear white. All year.
2. Don’t mix prints. This rule is begging to be broken. Mixing florals and stripes, for instance, is one our very favorite ways to mix prints.
3. No heels for tall girls. Pretty sure this rule was made by a short person. Tall girls, strut your stuff and wear those heels!
4. Your handbag and shoes should not match. Actually, matching your handbag and your shoes makes you look effortlessly put together. P.S. You can also not match.
5. Ditch the mom jeans. High-waisted jeans are making a huge comeback, but they have to be worn correctly. Wear them with a cute crop top or a jacket.
6. Designer bags are the only way to go. Please. Who wrote this rule? The marketing department for Coach? Express yourself with multiple less expensive, unique handbags.
7. Don’t mix your metals. Gone are the days of wearing all silver or all gold jewelry. We find that very boring and love the look of multiple metals together.
8. Don’t wear brown and black together. Again, we love the look of mixing these neutrals. Mix away!
9. Don’t mix casual with dressy. We’ve seen some very fashion-forward women rocking a graphic tee with a girly lace skirt and it looks great! They really balance each other for a look this is versatile and fun!
10. No denim on denim. We know this brings back bad memories of the 1990’s but a dark jean topped with a light chambray is super chic and a look we love! Plus, now that denim comes in every color imaginable, it is easier to mix well.
11. Don’t wear boots with shorts or dresses. Y’all know how we feel about this. In our opinion, you should wear your boots with whatever you like, especially shorts and dresses!
12. Sequins are for fancy occasions. No, they aren’t. You can wear them anytime you want. There are lots of cute sequined skirts, shorts and tops that are perfect to wear day or night.
13. Clutches are for evenings only. There are plenty of cute clutches out there that perfect for casual wear too. So carry a clutch whenever you want.
14. Wearing one color head-to-toe is boring. What? Dressing monochromatic is one of the easiest ways to look effortlessly chic, not to mention very slimming.
15. Tennis shoes are for gym class. Not these days. Ladies are wearing them with everything from dresses to skinny jeans and even wedding gowns.
16. Red and pink shouldn’t be worn together. We beg to differ. As long as they are both in the same cool or warm tone, it works.
17. Less is more. Not always true, especially if you are layering or stacking your jewelry.