Summertime heat calls for a lot of time spent in a swimsuit at the lake, pool or beach. And that suit needs to look good! Most likely you purchased yourself a new one and we all know a quality suit isn’t cheap. So if you are like me, you need that baby to last a few seasons.
These 5 simple tips will help extend the life of your favorite swimwear so you can wear it for years to come.
1. Wash your suit with a mild detergent and water every time you wear it. Rinsing with water alone will not remove sweat, chlorine and salt. The easiest way to do this is to simply fill a sink with cool water, add a teaspoon of detergent and gently swish for a few minutes. Rinse with clean, cool water and dry. Which leads into tip #2.
2. Never dry swimwear in the dryer or place in the sun to dry. Heat breaks down the fibers causing the suit to lose its shape. The sun will fade the suit making the colors appear dull and washed out. Lay flat, indoors.
3. Alternate suits. Wearing the same suit every time you go to the pool will cause it to break down more quickly. Alternating between 2 or even 3 suits will give the lycra/spandex time to “resize” itself.
4. Steer clear of hot tubs. The combination of extreme heat, bromine and the amount of time in the water is very hard on swimwear. I recommend wearing an older suit you aren’t as attached to and save your favorite for sunbathing.
5. Be careful of where you sit or lay out. Pool decks are typically rough to prevent slipping. This is bad news for swimsuits and can cause snags and runs. I always sit on a towel even if the deck feels smooth to the touch. I don’t want to risk ruining my favorite suit!
Follow these tips and your suit should stay in tip-top shape longer!