One of the most difficult challenges we face in the cold winter months is keeping ourselves warm without looking like the Abominable Snowman. The last thing we want is to add bulk to our already slightly fluffy post-holiday/mid-winter frames. There is a trick to layering up without adding the bulk, these tips should help!
1. Start light. The first layer should be fitted and thin. It may not seem like much, but this layer locks in a lot of heat and helps keep body heat from escaping.
2. Enhance, not overpower. Don’t let your clothes wear you. Choose items that enhance your best features. Should you have larger thighs, you probably want to avoid thick or lined pants. Heavy on top? Avoid bulky sweaters or jackets.
3. Keep things in proportion. In other words, don’t overdo it with too many layers. Typically, when we layer, we use items with different shapes. This can come off as disheveled if you do too many pieces at one time. Layer a few structured pieces with only one looser piece.
4. Choose wisely. If you opt for the fur vest, that probably means the heavy wool coat is out of the question. Wear lighter layers underneath if you are going to be wearing a heavy coat. Should you opt for a lightweight outer layer, it is perfectly fine to wear bulkier pieces underneath. Just don’t do both at the same time.
5. Don’t over-accessorize. Yes, there is such a thing! There are few people who can pull off multiple strands of necklaces, a fluffy scarf, large, dangly earrings and a colorful headband with style. Choose the one that makes the most sense for you and your planned activity and leave the rest at home!
Follow these tips and you should be warm and stylish without looking like the neighbor’s snowman!