I feel like this sandwich really has a special place in my heart. It’s one of my favorite spins on grilled cheese, and it’s healthy enough to make you feel like you’re practically vegan (except for all the fresh mozzarella, but we’ll get to that soon enough). This sandwich is packed with flavor, and it comes together super quick for an easy summer dinner. You can pair with chips (I recommend kettle) or a small salad or maybe if you’re feeling crazy a little potato salad.
I ate a variation of the sandwich in a pub in a suburb of Dallas after many beers, and once I got home I had to recreate it immediately. I didn’t know if the sandwich was that great, or the beers, but once I made it again I realized how good the sandwich actually was. I added in the factor of sourdough bread, and the addition of pesto to really make the flavors shine. For grilling the veggies, a grill pan works great, but don’t sweat it if you don’t own one, you can lightly sauté the veggies and the sandwich will turn out great. Also, buy a grill pan. You’re an adult for gods sake.
Make sure if you make this sandwich you let us know how you liked it in the comments below.
Grilled Veggie Pesto Sandwich Recipe
- ½ of a yellow summer squash, sliced into rounds
- ½ of a zucchini, sliced into rounds
- about 1 oz of fresh mozzarella, sliced. (more if you’re feeling wild)
- 2 pieces of sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp good olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- a giant slathering of pesto (This is actually a technical term. For the pesto, you can make your own – but that’s a lot of work and we’re looking for simple here. There’s also some great options at your local grocery store, especially if you’re a Whole Foods shopper. They have a jalapeno pesto to die for.)
- Put your grill pan on the stove. Heat to a medium-high heat. In a bowl off to the side, combine your olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano with your sliced yellow squash and zucchini. Toss to fully coat, and then throw those babies on the grill. When they’ve softened a touch and have some nice grill marks on both sides, remove and set to the side.
- Spread the butter onto your sourdough bread, and turn over carefully. Layer pesto on the insides of the bread, and then place your already grilled veggies inside the sandwich, topping with your mozzarella cheese.
- Create the sandwich and then place in a large pan over low heat. (You can use the grill pan again too just make sure it’s cooled off. You want to cook this low and slow.) WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT! Flip the sandwich. Cook for a little while longer until your cheese is melted and both side of the sourdough are golden brown. Remove, and slice down the middle. Enjoy!