There’s nothing that goes with horse races, big hats and high bids quite like a sweet, refreshing mint julep. There’s just something about the ice cold bourbon-infused drink that makes the Kentucky Derby feel complete — probably because it has been the official cocktail of that historic horse race for more than 100 years.
So, even if you’re only attending a Kentucky Derby themed party (or just watching the race on TV), you still deserve to enjoy the delicious drink.
Cheers to bourbon, ridiculous hats and losing money.
The Official Kentucky Derby Mint Julep Recipe:
Note: the Kentucky Derby website calls for Old Forester Kentucky Bourbon.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 8-10 sprigs of fresh mint
- crushed ice
- To create the syrup, boil the sugar and water together for five minutes over the stovetop.
- Let cool and then place in a covered container with 6-8 sprigs of mint and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the julep, fill a cup with crushed ice, add one tablespoon of mint syrup and two ounces of bourbon.
- Stir and garnish with a sprig of mint.