Former Empire actor Jussie Smollett is in trouble again, over a year since making the damning accusations that he had been victim of a hate crime on the streets of Chicago.
On Tuesday (Feb. 11,) it was announced that the actor is facing new criminal charges, with Special Prosecutor Dan Webb stating that Smollett did in fact make up the 2019 hate crime attack.
“As the Cook County state’s attorney’s office does in all cases, the special prosecutor reviewed the facts, evidence, and the law, and determined charges were appropriate in this matter,” a statement reported on by the Chicago Sun-Times read. “We are unable to comment further as the matter is pending.”
Smollett is now due to return to court on Feb. 24 for arraignment. He faces a long list of new charges, including six counts of disorderly conduct.
However, Smollett’s attorney says that he thinks that this new indictment is purely a political stunt.
[RELATED: Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Not Happy With Jussie Smollett Decision— “This Is a Whitewash of Justice”]
“This indictment raises serious questions about the integrity of the investigation that led to the renewed charges against Mr. Smollett, not the least of which is the use of the same CPD detectives who were part of the original investigation into the attack on Mr. Smollett to conduct the current investigation, despite Mr. Smollett’s pending civil claims against the City of Chicago and CPD officers for malicious prosecution,” Smollett’s attorney Tina Glandian said in a statement. “The charges were appropriately dismissed the first time because they were not supported by the evidence. The attempt to re-prosecute Mr. Smollett one year later on the eve of the Cook County State’s Attorney election is clearly all about politics not justice.”