Nick Cannon Stays On as Host of “The Masked Singer” Despite Anti-Semitic Comments

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest

It’s been quite a life changing week for Nick Cannon. But one thing that won’t be changing is his gig as a host on The Masked Singer.

“When we were made aware of Nick Cannon’s interview with Richard Griffin on YouTube, we immediately began a dialogue with Nick,” Fox said in a statement obtained by EW regarding the anti-Semitic comments he made on a recent podcast.

“He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong and lacked both understanding and context, and inadvertently promoted hate. This was important for us to observe. Nick has sincerely apologized and quickly taken steps to educate himself and make amends. On that basis and given a belief that this moment calls for dialogue, we will move forward with Nick and help him advance this important conversation, broadly. Fox condemns all forms of hate directed toward any community and we will combat bigotry of any kind.”

[RELATED: Nick Cannon Strikes Back Following CBS Firing: ‘I Demand the Apology!’]

Earlier this week, Cannon was fired from ViacomCBS from his improv show Wild ‘N Out following the comments he made on the June 30 episode of his podcast and YouTube show, Cannon’s Class. But despite this, Cannon will still stay on with FOX as host for the fourth season of the reality competition series known as The Masked Singer.

And on Wednesday (July 15,) the 39-year-old issued yet another statement, with this one sounding more like a much-needed apology, if you ask us.

“First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin,” Cannon said. “They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed. While the Jewish experience encompasses more than 5,000 years and there is so much I have yet to learn, I have had at least a minor history lesson over the past few days and to say that it is eye-opening would be a vast understatement.”

He concluded, “I want to express my gratitude to the Rabbis, community leaders and institutions who reached out to me to help enlighten me, instead of chastising me. I want to assure my Jewish friends, new and old, that this only the beginning of my education—I am committed to deeper connections, more profound learning and strengthening the bond between our two cultures today and every day going forward.”

View this post on Instagram

First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin. They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed. While the Jewish experience encompasses more than 5,000 years and there is so much I have yet to learn, I have had at least a minor history lesson over the past few days and to say that it is eye-opening would be a vast understatement. I want to express my gratitude to the Rabbis, community leaders and institutions who reached out to me to help enlighten me, instead of chastising me. I want to assure my Jewish friends, new and old, that this is only the beginning of my education—I am committed to deeper connections, more profound learning and strengthening the bond between our two cultures today and every day going forward.

A post shared by NICK CANNON (@nickcannon) on