You know you really should wash your face at night, but it is so easy to justify falling into bed without doing it with a “I don’t need to” or “I’ll wash it in the morning.” We’ve even been known to use the excuse, “Just this one time won’t matter” when it’s really the 3rd time in one week. Washing your face before bed gets more important as you get older, but if you make it a “must” when you are younger, it will become a habit and you won’t be able to go to sleep until you’ve done it.
Maybe these 5 reasons will help convince you:
1. Washing your face at night removes not only makeup, but it also removes the dirt and grime that has settled on your skin throughout the day. Makeup basically acts as a magnet for dust in the air attracting it to your face. Do your skin a favor and wash it off.
2. Your skin needs to naturally exfoliate itself and it can’t do this if it is covered in makeup or dirt. If you have a dull appearance, this is most likely the reason.
3. If you leave makeup on too long, it can irritate your skin and even clog your pores causing breakouts. In some cases, leaving makeup on overnight can cause your skin to break out in a rash.
4. Leaving mascara, eye liner and eyeshadow on all night can cause you to rub your eyes in your sleep and break your lashes off. Not to mention, the makeup will rub off on your clean, fresh sheets!
5. You skin is a living organ and needs to breathe so it can renew itself. Washing it allows this process to occur. Not washing it is smothering and will cause your skin to be rough and uneven.
Pro Tip: If you find that you are just too tired to wash your face before bed, wash it right when you get home from the evenings activities. That is better than nothing!