We know. You’ve tried every product under the sun to help your hair grow out. You’ve bought expensive hot oil treatments, you’ve purchased the pricey shampoos and you’ve bought that gadget from QVC. You’ve tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Sometimes, it’s the little things that you don’t think about that make a difference. A few small changes here and there will add up to healthier and longer tresses before you know it!
Here are a few extra tricks that will help get the long locks you’ve been dreaming about!
1. Cut it. These are the two words no girl growing her hair out wants to hear. But trimming your ends regularly will actually make your hair not only grow faster, but healthier too!
2. Skip the shampoo. This may come as a surprise, but the purpose of shampoo is to remove dirt and product buildup, but it also strips the natural oils that keep hair soft. When your hair is softer it lessens the chances of it breaking off. If you must wash your hair, lather only at the roots and then let the suds slide down hitting the rest of your hair as the water rinses it away. Follow with conditioner.
3. Apply a hair mask weekly. Hair that reaches below your shoulders can be several years old and needs a little more TLC than a regular conditioner can offer. You can easily do this at home by mixing 1 cup of coconut oil, with a tablespoon of almond and macadamia oils. Apply to damp hair, let sit for 10 minutes, then shampoo and condition as normal. The oils will fill the stands with fatty acids making hair soft and pliable.
4. Never wrap your hair up in a bath towel again. Like never, ever. Your hair gets caught in the woven fibers and if you are like most women (guilty!) you wrap it tightly. This makes those tiny, fragile strands around your face more prone to breakage. Use a super-thin and soft microfiber hair towel instead.
5. Ditch the cotton pillowcase. Just like with a towel, your hair can get caught in the woven fibers. Instead opt for a satin or sateen case and not only will your hair grow more quickly, you will also wake up with fewer tangles!