Every year on New Year’s Day, my mom whips up a batch of black eyed peas for good luck and prosperity in the new year, along with a plate of collared greens for luck with money. Even though I’ve never won the lottery or anything after eating my black eyed peas and collard greens, I’ll always eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day. Who knows– this could be my year!
Break out your slow cooker and whip up a batch for your loved ones this year and have a prosperous 2018!
How To Make Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas:
- 1 lb. black-eyed peas
- 1 (32-oz.) box chicken broth
- 1 (14-oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. pepper about
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in a slow cooker (add enough water to cover the peas).
- After at least 8 hours, drain the water and add the chicken broth, can of diced tomatoes, bacon, ham, onion, garlic, oregano and pepper, and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Add salt for taste and serve with cornbread!